The Basic Catagories
- Vitamins & Minerals
- Immune Support
- Women should eat about 160g-200g of carbohydrate each day.
- Men should eat about 240g-300g each day.
- Everyone should reduce their consumption of refined carbohydrates. (i.e. packaged snack foods, breads and cookies)
- Eat more whole grains like brown rice, millet, and quinoa.
- Eat more beans, winter squash, and sweet potatoes.
- Cook pasta al dente and eat in moderation.
- Avoid high-fructose corn syrup. (Check labels, it is everywhere!)
Essential fatty acids are necessary for health and can not be made by the body. Everyl living cell in the body needs essential fatty acids. They are essential for rebuilding and producing new cells. Essential fatty acids are also used by the body for production of postaglandins, hormone like substances that act as chemical messengers and regulators of various body processes.
There are two basic categories of EFA’s based on their chemical structures: omega-3 and omega-6.
Omega-3, including alpha-linolenic acid and EPA are found in fresh deepwater fish, fish oil, flaxseed oil, and walnut oil. Avoid regular safflower and sunflower oils, corn oil, cottonseed oil, and mixed vegetable oils.
Omega-6, including linoleic acid grape seed oil, primrose oil, and sesame oil. Heat destroys essential fatty acids and if oils are hydrogenated (processed to make the oil more solid) the linoleic acid is converted into trans-fatty acids, which are not beneficial to the body.
- Reduce saturated fat by eating less butter, cream, cheese and fatty meats.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main cooking oil.
- Consider using organic coconut oil by Gardens of Life found in our medicinal store.
- Strictly avoid margarine and vegetable shortening.
- Strictly avoid products made with partially hydrogenated oils of any kind. (Again, check your labels.)
- Include healthy fats found in avocados and nuts, especially walnuts, cashew, and almonds as well as nut butters made from them.
- Make sure you get adequate omega-3 fatty acids by eating fish like salmon, sardines, herring, black cod, sablefish and butterfish or by taking fish oil supplements. You can also get them by eating omega-3 fortified eggs, walnuts, and flaxseeds. Flaxseeds and flaxseed oil are rich in omega 3 essential fatty acids, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Also good sources of B vitamins, protein, and zinc. Reduces pain, inflammation, and is found to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- An optimal amount of fat is between 60 and 80 grams each day.
In our Medicinal Store we carry:
Pure EFA by Healing Gardens Store 1-2 softgels a day, a high-quality, high-potency fish oil that is enteric coated and tested for heavy metals.
Ultimate 3/6/9 by Healing Gardens Store A combination of fish, flax, and borage oils providing omega 3, 6, and 9, in one softgel.
EPO by Pure contains gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). Some women have found that primrose relieve unpleasant menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes. Also beneficial for pain and inflammation, enhances the release of sex hormones, including estorgen and testosterone. Aids in lowering cholesterol.
- Eat between 80 and 120 grams of protein each day.
- Eat less protein if you have liver or kidney problems, allergies or autoimmune diseases.
- Decrease your consumption of animal protein except for fish and reduced fat dairy products.
- Eat animal protein from organic grass fed animals.
- Eat more vegetable protein especially in the form of beans.
- Eat 40 grams of fiber each day by eating fiber-rich foods like fresh fruit and vegetables as well as beans and whole grains.
- Eat cereals that contain bran (4 to 5 grams per serving).
- To get maximum natural protection against age-related diseases, eat a variety of fruits, vegetables, and mushrooms.
- Choose fruits and vegetables from all parts of the color spectrum, especially berries, tomatoes, orange and yellow fruits, and dark leafy greens.
- Choose organic produce whenever possible. Learn which conventionally grown crops are most likely to carry pesticide residues, and avoid them.
- Eat cruciferous vegetables regularly (i.e. those in the cabbage family)
- Eat soy foods that are minimally processed (i.e. edamame and tempe)
- Eat Cilantro. This is very helpful for detoxification. See our website for cilantro recipes.
- Drink tea instead of coffee, especially good quality white, green, or oolong tea. If you drink alcohol, use red wine preferentially.
- Enjoy plain dark chocolate (with a minimum cocoa content of 70%) in moderation.
Vitamin and Minerals:
The best way to obtain all your daily vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients is by eating a diet high is fresh food, with an abundance of fruits and vegetables.
In addition, supplement your diet with the following:
We carry these supplements in our Medicinal Store
- Alka-C by Mountain States is a buffered C powder 1 tsp is 4 grams of vitamin C.
- One Daily by Right foods is a food based multi vitamin. Available with or without iron.
- Peter Gillham’s Organic Life Liquid Multivitamin is a liquid multivitamin that tastes like great and has lots of good vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants.
- Ultimate Bone Defense by Private label is a preferable calcium supplement because it has an optimal amount of MCHC clacium which has been proven in studies to reverse bone loss.
- Vitamin D3 by Private label in liquid or gel caps, supports bone health and musculoskeletal comfort, increases immune function, regulates blood sugar levels, provides chemoprotection, and improves mood.
- Magnesium powder, caps, topical supplies a broad ranges of benefits sich as bone support, sleep and stress help, and muscle health.
- Del Immune by Pure Research utilizes the latest research in the cell fragments of Lactobacillus Rhamnosus lysatye boosting immune function. 1-2 caps each day to stimulate the immune system. It is not the same as taking probiotics.
- IgG 2000 by Xymogen is a highly concentrated, non-dairy source of serum-derived immunoglobulin antibodies and immunoproteins. Demonstrates enhancement in immune function by directly boosting immunoglobulin levels in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Prolive by Allergy Research is olive leaf extract. Anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Recommended to take probiotics along with it.
Adaptogenic Herbal Support
- Vital Adapt by Natura is a broad spectrum herbal adaptogenic multi-formula for optimal health promotion, longevity and total well-being. Promotes stress control, deep sleep, vital energy and stamina. Anti-oxidant protection for all major organs. Enhances the immune system, builds energy reserves and protecting and restoring vibrant health. Take 30-60 drops 2-3 times a day.
- Power Adapt by Natura is a ultra energizing liquid herbal tonic. Builds strength and stamina and maximizes mental and physical performance. Tonifies and balances the endocrine system by providing deep support to the spleen, kidneys and adrenals. Promotes rapid healing and recovery from injury or fatigue with sustained results. Effective for stress management
- Resveratin by Xymogen is a methylated resveratrol, increasing the absorption and stability or the resveratrol. It provides powerful antioxidant support, has numerous anti-inflammatory properties, and supports healthy cellular function.
Other Dietary Supplements
- If you are not eating oily fish at least twice a week, take supplemental fish oil, 1-2 gm each day. (Look for meleculary distilled products certified to be free of heavy metals and other contaminants.)
- If you are not regulary eating ginger and tumeric, consider taking them in supplemental form.
- Add Co-Enzyme Q-10 to your daily regimen: 50-100mg in a soft-gel form taken with your largest meal.
- If you are prone to metabolic syndrome, take controlled release Alpha-Lipoic Acid each day.
- Try to drink 8-10 glasses of pure water or drinks that are mostly water (tea, very diluted fruit juice, sparkling water with lemon) every day.
- Use bottled water or get a home water purifier to rid your water of chlorine and other contaminants.