GPC is a naturally occurring substance in all the body’s cells and mother’s milk. It is an
“activated” form of choline, a member of the B-complex family, and an important
nutrient for the brain, without which we could not think, sleep, or remember. GPC is also a
constituent of many other vital molecules, such as the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
Neurotransmitters are the chemicals needed to carry out your brain’s processing
operations, working as messengers of neurologic information from one cell to another.
GPC enhances phosphatidylinositol receptor function, which improves cell signaling.
Phosphatidylinositol is a phospholipid, and therefore a key component of cell membranes
and quite abundant in the brain tissues.
GPC is water-soluble, making it able to cross the blood brain barrier. For this reason,
GPC is better than PC, phosphatidylcholine (PC), another phospholipid, at helping to
increase acetylcholine levels in the brain. This neurotransmitter is responsible for cognitive
function, mainly learning and memory. Researchers suggest that GPC works by increasing
hippocampal acetylcholine synthesis and release. A central role of the hippocampus is the
forming, storing, and processing of memories. The dementia associated with Alzheimer’s
has been shown to disrupt the pathways that use acetylcholine, resulting in impaired
cognition, memory loss, and disturbances in sleep. GPC given to rats, after inducing
amnesia with the anticholinergic drug scopolamine (which blocks acetylcholine), was able
to completely reverse the amnesia.
GPC also works by stimulating the release of the calming neurotransmitter GABA in the
brain. Low levels of GABA in the elderly may contribute to the symptoms of impaired
cognition associated with degenerative brain conditions, such as mood disorders and dementia.
Why use GPC Liquid?
- Excellent choice when higher doses of GPC are desired
- Beneficial in more serious health conditions, such as: traumatic brain injury, post-stroke, neurodegenerative diseases (i.e., Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s)
- Dropper is calibrated for easy titration
- No pills to swallow
- Naturally sweet taste, with no added sweeteners
How to Use:
Take 2 mL (600 mg GPC; approx. 1 dropper full) one to two times per day.
Hold in mouth for greater mucosal absorption. Many may find GPC to be brain energizing. For these people, it may be best to take during the morning or early afternoon.
Note: the typical oral doses of GPC used in most trials were 1200 mg per day in divided
doses, in order to maintain high blood levels throughout 24 hours.
When tested for memory and depression, GPC at 1 g per day showed better results than
CDP (cytosine diphosphocholine) at the same dosage.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GPC may benefit:
- Memory/mental focus in elderly and young
- Growth hormone production(take 60-90 minutes before workout)
- Brain recovery from stroke or brain injury
- Cognitive deficit from anesthesia following surgery (up to 50% of bypass patients experience brain damage following bypass surgery)
- Impairment in cognition and social behavior due to Alzheimer’s or vascular dementia
- Age-related changes in brain function