This article is directly from the UCHealth website.
What is convalescent plasma?
The management of COVID-19 has mainly focused on infection prevention, case detection and monitoring, and supportive care. There is no specific anti-SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) treatment recommended at this time because of the absence of evidence, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
However, people who recover (convalesce) from COVID-19 make antibodies against the virus in the plasma component of their blood. And evidence shows that this convalescent plasma can be used as a treatment for patients with COVID-19 without the occurrence of severe adverse events.
UCHealth has already treated patients using this blood and is looking to identify potential donors of convalescent COVID-19 plasma to be able to treat more COVID-positive patients across the state.
Do I qualify?
COVID-19 convalescent plasma may only be collected from COVID-19 recovered individuals if they are eligible to donate blood.
You must have:
- Prior diagnosis of COVID-19 documented by a laboratory test.
- Complete resolution of symptoms at least 14 days before the donation.
- Meet all requirements for blood donation.
- More details are outlined in the FDA guidelines.
What if I had symptoms of COVID-19, but never got a test?
If you suffered from a respiratory illness over the last eight weeks and believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, you may be eligible to donate plasma in the near future. Please fill out one of the forms below, depending on where you live. Then, if the opportunity arises for you to donate plasma, coordinators will follow up with you soon. Thank you.
What do I do next?
- In Northern Colorado: Contact Kaitlin Zobel: 970.495.8987, or fill out this form and someone will contact you. Details on their process and scheduling can be found here.
- Outside Northern Colorado: Contact the UCHealth convalescent plasma hotline: 720.848.8888, or fill out this form and someone will contact you.
Where can I find more information?
- The Colorado COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Project Consortium
- UCHealth Today’s COVID-19 page.
- UCHealth Today article: Donating plasma for COVID patients new push in fight against deadly virus
- UCHealth Today article: ‘Huge’ milestone: Colorado’s first convalescent plasma recipient leaves ICU after 34 days on a ventilator